It is an ancient Roman colony dating back to the 1st cent. b.C. and the name of Sagittaria originates from the arrows (sagittae in Latin) produced in a factory operating in this area in the 3rd cent. a.C.
Excavations in the city have discovered many finds dating back to the Roman as well as to the early Christian time. Some of them are kept in the archeological museums of Concordia and Portogruaro, while others are visible in the city.
The square of St. Stephen Cathedral is of archeological remarkable interest. Under and besides the church there is a group of buildings of the early Christian time: the Tricora (half 4th cent. a.C.)a building with three semicircular apses, erected as memorial of Diocletian’s persecution victims.
Many ruins of the Roman time have been found out during the last years: along Via San Pietro you can see the arch of the Roman bridge, the theatre and the forum, while the Roman spa and a long segment of the city enclosure wall are visible near Via Claudia.
Monuments to be visited:
- the Cathedral (10th cent.) with paintings of the 13th cent. and a magnificent holy water stoup in Greek marble (1st cent. a. C.)
- the bell-tower (year 1150), in Roman style, about 28 meter high, erected by the Cathedral
- the Baptistry (end 11th cent.) in Byzantine style, with its Greek cross shaped plan,
- dome-shaped frescoed ceiling and ruins of a Renaissance christening font
- il Palazzo Municipale del 1523, in stile rinascimentale, situato sulle rive del fiume Lemene e restaurato fedelmente in seguito ad un incendio
- the Municipal Palace (year 1523), in Renaissance style, situated on the Lemene river banks and accurately restored after a fire
- the Bishop’s Palace (year 1450) in Venetian style, nowadays used as presbitery.